Hi guys!


I just want to share my opinion on the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in English Language Teaching in the specific context of third world countries. When we say that Education in a country has changed thanks to the use of ICTs, we should consider:


  • Wheather or not a third world country educational system is prepared for using Information and Communication Technologies when teaching English.


  • Advantages and disadvantages of using Information and Communciation Technologies in a third world society.
In my opinion, it is probable that a third world educational system is prepared for using Information and Communciation technologies to learn English. However, it should be taken into account that not all institutions are prepared for it given the way languages are taught. I mean, public schools have to change the methodology used to teach English in order that they can include ICTs in English teaching classes.

Now, why am I stating these words?

Well, I studied in a public school in Colombia, and I do think there is something wrong with the way English is taught not only in my former school but also in all schools that give education for free in my country. To be frank, when I entered my secondary school, my parents thought it was the best decision they had made. That is because, in my country, big public schools are considered to give good education and upbringing. Despite this, my English classes were given in Spanish all the time, and teachers used to teach the same "verb to be" conjugation year after year...and I'm not kidding, but we never knew what "the verb to be" was.

Currently, I teach English to some students from private schools and let me tell you, that is a kind of different world concerning to English teaching. There, students are taught in English all the time, that is, the new language is a tool to learn, not a set of the same grammar rules without any sense. Moreover, private schools give classes in English from the very beginning. Therefore, students acquire the language instead of larning it, and that is something that makes faster and easier the process of using another language.

As a conclusion, I dare to say that although private schools are prepared for using Information and Communication Technologies in English language teaching classes, there is too much left for public schools as they are able to make a good use of those technologies during English classes. That is because, while in a private school students could be using a specific software to gain more information about a specific subject matter along with the supervision of the teacher, in a public school, the students could be looking for the same grammar structure they have been learning during many years on the Internet, and with the teacher sitting in a chair keeping an eye on students given the case they cause damage to something.

If we want all schools in a third world country such Colombia to make use of Infomation and Communciation Technologies, then we need to change the way English is taught and bring into awareness that lerning English is more that learning senseless structures that will not help in the process of using a second language.

In order to give my opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of using ICTs in a third world society, I have added a Power Point Presentation. I hope you like it:

7 comments:

Unknown dijo...

I think it is really useful to make use of IT technologies in teaching English and other subject matters. Despite this, in Colombia ICts are not consider a good investment but are seen as a waste of money. And, in my opinion, that is something we should change first of all.

Fabián dijo...

Well I'm agree with Sofia and I think that the worst trouble about English Language Teaching is the methodology used, but more than that, public or private schools aren't the problem (most of cases) BOTH have to increase the time to learn in all classes, because actually in some schools just receive about 3 hours per week, I think Information and Communication Technologies are really useful but isn't the only method to learn. I mean, with a dynamic learning method that includes entertainment, because when you are satisfied, happy and enjoying with a learning method, you can improve continuously even when you practice and keep learning with some of your hobby's( like English music, playing video games, read news etc.) that makes you are getting better all the time, and joining with (ICTs) actually we've a lot of resources to practice even more, chat that made possible met people around over the world, VoIP which we can also practice pronunciation FREE with Skype and other services that help us to communicate.

At today is very important speaks English about 60% because this language is like a "Standard" to communicate and share your experiences with all the people in the world for example with a chinese, japanese etc.

After you get a extensive vocabulary thats the moment when you have to learn Grammar lesson, because after you knew many words the next step is improve grammar, just with the words you are ready to communicate and speak with people even if you make some mistakes.

I think that's the affordable and possible way to learn english.

That was my opinion..

I hope schools in my country will change the methodology used but QUICKLY !

ANDRESV17 dijo...

Well, the problem is not only that the college is public or not. Well that is true, the learning methods in public schools is wrong, the most of private schools also have big problems
I studied in a private school, and I believe there are many difficults about English language teaching
The principal problem is when you advance between grades, with new students, the teachers decide to recapture the topics of the previous years, wasting enough time in this.
As Sofia says, is better to acquire the language instead of learning it, because learning the concept appear more confusions, in my case it impede myself to manage to have an English intermediate level, because when I try to put in practice the learned I get many confusions
Nevertheless I can´t deny that Colombia has progressed so much in the language teaching, the most of private schools have the level adapted to apply the ICT, and would be a great advance in the education in Colombia, but one must give attention in the way of teaching the English in order that the education so much in public like private is suit

Xman dijo...

Have a look:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/23/3rd.world.tech.idg/


:·XMAN·:

Unknown dijo...

Hello Lisis, I do agree with you in some points, it's almost a coincidence, my essay in Educational tech" was about the same.

I will let u know it later.

Take care and visit my place:

http://juanitspractish.wordpress.com

johnattan dijo...

that's a great idea and it should be ideal that public schools can use this kind of technologies for most of the classes not only English. but you know public schools have a mean problem and it is money some of them can manage that and some others need government support. solving that problem the use of technology in a plubic school for an specific purpose would be easy to come true.

Xavier Silva dijo...

Nice blog!
Interesting topic you chose. Everyone of us is concerned about the way English is taught. I think your ideas must be taken into account.

About the creator


She was born in Bucaramanga, Colombia. At the age of twenty-one, she is a pre-service teacher and student of English Teaching Program at Universidad Industrial de Santander (UIS). She wants to share her ideas on education with other people around the world.